A woman who accidentally drank a bleach solution that was supposed to clean her bathroom has died.
Najib, who was living in a refugee camp in Syria, was in the country’s Kurdish-majority north for a week before her death, according to the Syrian Civil Defence.
Naji al-Qassoura, the head of the Syrian Kurdish Red Crescent, said she was on her way to her workplace in a village north of Damascus when she fell ill.
“Her eyes were shut, she had diarrhea, she was vomiting,” she told Al Jazeera.
She was rushed to hospital in the town of Ain Issa in the countryside of the same name, where she was pronounced dead, according a statement from the Red Crescent.
The Red Crescent also said the body was transported to the town’s morgue for a post-mortem.
“We are trying to collect all information about her case so that we can establish the cause of her death,” Qassouram said.
Al Jazeera’s Hala Al-Tamimi, reporting from the Syrian capital, Damascus, said it was unclear how long the woman had been in Syria.
“The Syrian Red Crescent said they don’t know when she entered the country or whether she was already in the Kurdish-dominated areas,” she said.
“It’s very possible that she had been there for several weeks, perhaps she was staying in a tent in the outskirts of the town.”
So there are lots of possibilities, that she was being smuggled into Syria to work or that she’s been on the run and is now dead,” she added.
The Syrian Kurdish YPG militia has been battling Islamic State in the north of the country for several years.
Syria’s Kurds, who number more than a million, say the US-backed Kurdish group is a “terrorist” group and are keen to separate them from the rest of Syria’s population.